What you will be part of
Saab Sensor Systems is a rapidly growing business unit located in Syracuse, NY operating within Saab Defense and Security USA LLC. The Sensor Systems Division is focused on design, development, integration, test, deployment and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems primarily for aerospace and defense industry partners, and US Government agencies. Saab Defense and Security USA LLC provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Defense and Security USA, Sensor Systems Division is seeking a Software Engineering Manager to manage a team of Software Engineers and report to the Head of Software Engineering. The individual that fills this role will collaborate with the Software, Systems, Test, and Hardware Engineering Managers, as well as program management counterparts to ensure the execution and delivery of a quality end product within cost and schedule targets.
The position involves:
1. Leading and developing an assigned engineering team focused on meeting technical, program and business which include:
- Program resource planning which include:
- Develop on-going staffing capacity as well as long term staffing plans
- Recruit staff as necessary to meet business demand
- Assign appropriate personnel to projects
- Ensure all personnel have established relevant goals and objectives that link directly to the objectives of the business.
- Provide technical oversight, guidance, mentorship and coaching to assigned personnel in the performance of their assigned tasks.
- Manage the annual performance review process, compensation reviews, and career development process.
2. Ensure accountability for creation of accurate cost and schedule targets, and execution of technical effort in accordance with those targets:
- Responsible for cost estimating activities related to contract proposals, IR&D, capital, and OH budgets for assigned discipline(s)
- Ensure the BOE's and Schedules are accurate, appropriate, documented and consistent with overall program objectives
- Establish cost and schedule targets for team members
- Monitor and control execution consistent with established technical, cost and schedule objectives.
- Support contract negotiations and fact finding as requested by program management.
3. Provides credible technical insight and leadership within assigned discipline(s):
- Responsible for technology roadmap planning
- Develops innovative technical solutions and assess technical risk and identify risk mitigation strategies
- within assigned discipline(s)
- Identify, assess and cultivate relationships with potential customers and suppliers
- Responsible for budgeting including OH, capital requests, and software/tool subscriptions
4. Be a champion for the quality and continuous improvement of our technical processes within the assigned discipline(s).
- Ensure updates for QMS processes, forms, templates, work instructions and job aids are completed
- Establish processes and benchmarks for measuring team and process performance
- Ensure team is accountable for adherence to established processes and continuous improvement objectives.
Your skills and experience
Required Education and Experience:
- BA/BS degree in business, engineering or discipline related to technical expectations
- 20+ years of experience (if MA/MS, 18+ years of experience, if PhD, 16+ years of experience)
- Be a leading subject matter expert in the software engineering field
- Ability to resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways
- Ability to provide strategic direction for software, projects, and programs in area of expertise
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to collaborate across disciplines effectively
The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to:
- Set and articulate goals and build a team around those goals
- Anticipate organizational challenges likely to occur due to the dynamics of the business environment and formulate contingency plans and coping strategies
- Forecast resource requirements (people, money & assets) in order to meet business objectives
- Measure team and process performance through the definition and use of appropriate metrics
- Grow management and technical talent by identifying, crafting and implementing an appropriate development plan.
- Establish goals, guidelines and methods to be used within team
- Plan and manage an operating budget for own organization
- Effectively match compensation to performance
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background investigation and/or successfully demonstrate eligibility to receive applicable Government security clearance(s).
As a contractor for the United States Department of Defense, Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.