What you will be part of
Saab Sensor Systems is a rapidly growing business unit located in Syracuse, NY operating within Saab Defense and Security USA LLC. The Sensor Systems Division is focused on design, development, integration, test, deployment and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems primarily for aerospace and defense industry partners, and US Government agencies. Saab Defense and Security USA LLC provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is seeking a Senior Technical Support Engineer to provide outstanding service to all Saab Defense and Security customers. The candidate must be highly motivated and committed to solving customer problems. A positive outlook, desire to help others, ability to listen and work collaboratively are crucial to succeed in this position.
- Maintaining cost and schedule plans for assigned tasks while applying technical support concepts and operating with minimal oversight.
- Extensive travel to sometimes austere locations such as on-board ships or overseas to perform the required job function.
- Provides hands-on technical support to customers by phone and on-site on multiple complex systems.
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots, repairs and debugs complex radar, electro/mechanical equipment, computer systems, software, and networked and/or wireless systems.
- Troubleshoots and resolves complex issues independently or in collaboration with others.
- Responds to situations where first-line technicians have failed to isolate or fix problems in malfunctioning equipment or software.
- Reports design, reliability, and maintenance problems or bugs to design engineering/software engineering.
- Has moderate contact with customers.
- May support other company functional areas such as customer installation and training.
- Deliver training to customers on operations and maintenance of Saab products.
- Must be eligible to obtain US Government security clearance
- Must be capable of lifting and removing/replacing components weighing 50 pounds or more.
Your skills and experience
Required Education and Experience:
- BA/ BS degree in an engineering discipline
- 8+ years of experience (6+ years if MS degree)
- OR 12+ years of relevant military or aerospace experience
- Giraffe AMB (or similar) radar systems design, operation, or maintenance experience highly preferred.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Experience working with radar and surveillance systems.
- Ability to independently perform system troubleshooting and maintenance using existing procedures and resolve complex issues
- Ability to perform system troubleshooting and maintenance beyond the scope of written procedures
- Effectively use problem solving skills and analytical thinking
- Ability to use common diagnostic test equipment such as DMM and oscilloscope
- Ability to identify degraded system performance and recommend methods for improvement
- Understanding of analog, digital, communications, and RF systems
- Must be a problem solver who is poised, mature and fully capable of professional communication with customers and Saab personnel.
- Proven experience in building positive customer relationships through continued, long-term customer interaction.
- Ability to concurrently work effectively within multiple engineering teams
- Ability to communicate results both verbally and in writing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively use appropriate tools and computer skills
- Working knowledge of the MS Office applications suite with expert-level proficiency in MS Word
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background investigation and/or successfully demonstrate eligibility to receive applicable Government security clearance(s).
As a contractor for the United States Department of Defense, Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.
Saab is a global defense and security company operating in the fields of air, land and naval defense, civil security and commercial aeronautics. We number approximately 14,700 employees and have operations on all continents. Technologically we are leaders in many areas, and one-fifth of our earnings are spent on research and development.
Saab is a company where we see diversity as an asset and offer unlimited opportunities for advancing in your career. We are also a company that respects each person’s needs and encourage employees to lead a balanced, rewarding life beyond work. Saab values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran, or disability status.
Last updated: 07 June 2016 • 15:56