What you will be part of
Saab Sensor Systems is a rapidly growing business unit located in Syracuse, NY operating within Saab Defense and Security USA LLC. The Sensor Systems Division is focused on design, development, integration, test, deployment and whole life support of surveillance sensor systems primarily for aerospace and defense industry partners, and US Government agencies. Saab Defense and Security USA LLC provides an excellent working environment, offering advancement and professional growth opportunities, competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package.
The Production Planner/Scheduler covers the planning, scheduling, releasing, and tracking of workflow from the engineering to the manufacturing department. This position receives drawing packages and requisitions from engineering personnel, adds planning data, enters the demand requirements into the company ERP system, copies, assembles, distributes, and further prepares drawing packets for manufacture.
As the focal point in creating a shop floor scheduling system among all departments to effectively communicate and help meet project requirements, the Production Planner creates, tracks, and reports on the current production status of released Work orders. This position functions as a liaison between Engineering, Purchasing, Manufacturing and shipping/receiving departments.
- Function as the focal point in creating a production schedule using the best combination of Oracle ERP system, Excel, and Power point. The production scheduler’s purpose is to provide a means to track and manage daily manufacturing workload, provide feedback to program management officer on in-house vs. subcontracted manufacturing hours, and provide regular reporting on manufacturing status. The production schedule will provide an in-depth audit on production requirements, manufacturing capacity, schedule, and workforce size.
- Monitors, analyzes, and reports performance to schedule of production activities utilizing information derived from material and production control systems.
- Coordinate with program managers and production to sequence manufacturing, assembly, and installation.
- Assist the manufacturing department to actively manage the production schedule.
- Research and assign manufacturing times and due dates on parts as needed and document during the releasing process.
- Coordinate with departments and program managers as needed to identify and resolve issues regarding budget and delivery.
- Monitor quality, service, and delivery issues, and take corrective actions as needed.
- Identify and resolve supplier and internal errors that result in budget or schedule discrepancies.
- Provide continual improvement of the planning and reporting processes.
- Participate in project milestone meetings.
- Analyze project information and requests received from engineering personnel via an engineering-change-notice, then effectively communicate the requirements to purchasing and manufacturing personnel.
- Accurately maintain item master database in the Oracle ERP system
- Correctly assess whether required parts can be issued from Finished Goods Inventory, should be manufactured in-house, or sub-contracted to outside suppliers. For parts sub-contracted to outside vendors, estimate the amount of in-house manufacturing hours and costs to be converted to vendor dollars.
- Accurately maintain work orders, routings, and bills-of-material and as-built bills-of-material.
- Research order and delivery discrepancies and resolve MRP related issues. Take appropriate corrective actions to prevent similar issues.
- Reproduce drawings and assemble drawing packets complete with work-order /flow cards, completion dates, and instructions for subsequent operations.
- Distribute assembled drawing packages and engineering-change-notices among departments.
- Routine clerical duties to support department activities and equipment.
- Stay informed of current projects, manufacturing workload, and manufacturing
- Function as the focal point to move towards a more efficient system of entering engineering releases. The goal is continual improvement of the processes being utilized.
Your skills and experience
Required Education and Experience:
- A two year degree in Business Administration, Operations Management, or a technical field.
- 5+ years experience in planning/scheduling OR10+ years of related experience and proven performance in a manufacturing environment may be acceptable in lieu of a degree.
- Self-motivated, energetic, dependable, honest, and thorough. A versatile, self-starter with a positive attitude, who is cautiously assertive.
- Ability to modulate with a dynamic workload: From heavy multi-tasking during peak workloads - to very focused, detail-oriented work during critical projects
- Strong project management, organizational, and communication skills are required.
- Team attitude; eager to cooperate with others with exceptional interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to change direction and handle multiple responsibilities and tasks on a regular basis.
- Ability to positively motivate individuals and teams to meet or exceed project expectations.
- Exceptionally high level of commitment to the success of individuals and overall projects.
- Work ethics that complement long standing culture of high integrity throughout all areas of internal and external business activity.
- Willing to put in extra effort and hours as needed.
- Strong mechanical and electrical aptitude.
- Competent with computer software such as, Oracle ERP, Microsoft office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, MS Project).
- Knowledge of MRP/ERP systems.
As a condition of employment, candidates will be required to participate in a background investigation and/or successfully demonstrate eligibility to receive applicable Government security clearance(s).
As a contractor for the United States Department of Defense, Saab Defense and Security USA LLC is an E-Verify participant and applicants must be U.S. Citizens in order to be considered for employment.