“Saab Grintek Defence’s fourth-generation integrated communications management system – AviCom – which was released last year provides an integrated aircraft communication management system, providing a user-friendly interface to simplify aircrew interaction, improving operational effectiveness and flight safety,” says Leif Karlsson, Acting President and CEO of SGD.
SGD’s family of Communications Management Systems (CMS) have a proven track record and are utilised in a multitude of platforms across the globe. The current fourth-generation system provides a capability of flexible configurations ranging from two seat aircraft, helicopters to large cargo and special mission aircraft. The flexible and scalable architecture can be adapted to meet user requirements, interfacing to multiple users and/or multiple radios, typical of special mission aircraft, resulting in optimal configurations that enhance operational capability.
AviCom’s primary capabilities include:
- Excellent speech intelligibility due to the use of digital audio.
- Open system architecture for flexible and easy avionics integration.
- Modular and expandable Hardware and Software architecture.
- Powerful Digital Communications Bus (DCB) structure offering system scalability, multiple redundancy and backup features.
- Simplified and reduced aircraft looms due to the distributed DCB structure.
- Programmable Human-Machine Interface (HMI).
- Adaptable to user requirements.
- Direct sunlight readable and Night Vision Goggle (NVG) compatible displays.
- Secure communication capability.
“It is important that our local products form part of the global Saab offerings and solutions. AviCom’s selection showcases it’s capability to meet mission critical communication demands of this state-of-the-art multi-crew airborne surveillance aircraft”, says Leif Karlsson.
For further information, please contact:
Saab Press Centre, +46 (0)734 180 018,
Anne Lewis-Olsson, +27 (0)71 6810429,
Follow us on twitter: @saab
Saab Grintek Defence
Saab provides a broad range of world-leading products services and solutions within military defence and civil security to the Sub-Saharan/South African market. An impressive range of defence forces across the globe are using South African electronic warfare and avionics technology being designed and produced at Saab Grintek Defence facilities in South Africa. Saab also has business units and local employees in Cape Town, South Africa, in Gaborone , Botswana and in Nairobi, Kenya. Saab is a global company with operations and employees in about 40 countries around the world. Through innovative, collaborative and pragmatic thinking, Saab constantly develops, adopts and improves new technology to meet customers’ changing needs.